Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo (with Chicano Soul Soundtrack)

You know what I love about Cinco de Mayo? Aside from the food? And the margaritas?

By now most of us know that Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexican Independence Day (I hope), but instead commemorates the Battle of Puebla, in which the Mexicans defeated the French who outnumbered them 2 to 1.  You can read more about this momentous day at Wikipedia. 

What I really love about this holiday is that it celebrates the fact that, even when the odds seem to be overwhelmingly against you, you can succeed.  I'm also a big believer in celebrating all of your victories in life, however small.

And then, of course, there's the food. And the margaritas. And by margaritas I do not mean some slushy, sugary neon-yellow concoction served in a fishbowl. I mean something made with fresh ingredients, served on the rocks in a lady-sized glass.
Photo via Wikipedia
And by food, I do not mean Velveeta microwaved with a can of Rotel and poured over Tostitos. I mean carnitas. And perhaps? Nopales.

I know some people hate on Cinco de Mayo, saying it doesn't mean anything to "real" Mexicans, and that it's a completely American phenomenon-an excuse to get your party on after Spring Break is over. I prefer to think of it as an opportunity to celebrate the pepper that Mexican-Americans (and Hispanic-Americans in general) have added to the Great American Melting Pot.

And in the spirit of celebrating our "flavor" - my soundtrack for Cinco de Mayo is not mariachi music (which I love, don't get wrong!) but always the awesome Chicano Soul music recorded in the 50s, 60s and 1970s. Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about-the Blendells' "Hispanicized" cover of Stevie Wonder's "La La La La La" As promised in the intro, it'll make you clap your hands, kick your feet, and as a matter of fact, it'll tear you up.
What will you be eating and drinking this Cinco de Mayo? What will you be listening to? And most importantly, what will you be celebrating?


Wishing you mucho love with extra cheese-
Nacho Mama

No comments: