Friday, May 13, 2011

"Trigger" Foods-I can't prove they're laced with crack....

So...tomorrow is my Weight Watchers meeting. Which means I'll be weighing in. Facing the music. Paying the piper. Or is it the fiddler? Whichever one it is, it's not going to be pretty.

This week? I went WAAAAY over my points. Just trust me on this one.

Why? Well, there was that excursion to Porkyland. But I had put aside some of my weekly points allowance for that. What I didn't "bank"on, however, was the dinner the San Diego Momfia would throw for us contributors last night. It was at Arterra Restaurant, perched atop the Del Mar hills at sunset. Don't get me wrong-it was super fun and the food was phenomenal (I'll do a proper post about it later-promise!) but there were so many fantastic foods to try! And just when I thought I couldn't eat another bite...they brought out a dish that, well, let's just say there's no way for me to prove that it was laced with crack. Congratulations, Nacho Mama! You now have a new "trigger food!"

Do you have those? I sure do! For me "trigger foods" are the ones that once I start, I cannot stop eating until they're gone. I can't prove they're laced with crack. But if it ever came out one day that they were? You totally owe me Coke.

Let's start with the earliest and for me, worst offender.
File:Nacho-Cheese-Doritos-Bag-Small.jpg
Photo via Wikipedia
I can't remember a time when I didn't love them. I simply don't buy these, because I know how it'll end. It always ends with me trying to get every last, tiny, orange granule off the bottom of the bag. I do occasionally indulge in them when they are on offer at Superbowl parties and the like, but I just cannot bring them into my home. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I've actually eaten these until I've become sick. Wanna know how many times that's happened? I've lost count. I'm totally not kidding.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Eq_it-na_pizza-margherita_sep2005_sml.jpg
Photo via Wikipedia
Next up? Pizza. Specifically from either Filippi's or Lefty's here in San Diego. Ah, pizza. It was the first word I ever learned to spell. Again, not kidding. Now, though, I'm proud to admit that I have managed to exert a little control over this one. When I started this new WW program, I also started filling 2/3 of the plate with salad and only 1/3 with pizza. And I've eaten much less pizza this way! I don't particularly care for most salad dressings, I usually have my greens plain. Why waste the points on salad when you can spend them on PIZZA, people?

And now? "Loaded" Fries from Arterra. LOADED. FRIES. Good thing this place is almost a half-hour from me with gas prices as high as they are! First-you must see them:
Photo via Beth Avant (@HipMamaB)
It doesn't look so bad, does it? An innocent, austere white bowl....but here's what's lurking inside: French Fries mixed with fried, CUBED bacon. Topped with 2 fried eggs. That's all. And before serving it to you, the waitress tosses it all together as though it were a delicate spring mix of arugula and frisee.

I ate those fries over 24 hours ago and I can't. Stop. Thinking about them. Yes, they're loaded with fat. They're loaded with cholesterol. But they're also loaded with the most exquisite flavor. And possibly crack. But there's no way for me to prove that. At least, that's what the Weight Watchers receptionist will tell me at the scale tomorrow.

Please tell me you have Trigger Foods too! What are they? Chocolate? Funyuns?

Nachos?

Wishing you love with extra cheese-
Nacho Mama

REMEMBER: There's still time to enter my FAIR TRADE GIVEAWAY. We lost TWO DAYS with the Blogger outage, and I know at least one of your comments was a casualty (sorry! I hope you'll re-enter!) but we seem to be back now and there is some fun, healthy, stuff in the prize bag!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Funyons, cheeze-it's, cap'n crunch cereal....a few of my "crack" foods *sigh*

I wanna go to porkyland! Lol

Those fries sound amazing!

ikkinlala said...

For me? Dips - I especially like artichoke dip and hummus.

Lexi said...

Ice cream. Always ice cream!

Unknown said...

anything chocolate & peanut butter.. mainly peanut butter too though i eat it out of the jar!!! and again.. chocolate.. did i say chocolate?? lol