Sunday, June 10, 2012

RECIPE: 1PointPlus Cafe Gel-Latte! (aka "Coffee Whip")

By now many of you know that I am a collector of vintage flotsam in general and vintage Weight Watchers memorabilia in particular. I especially love old cookbooks (WW or otherwise) and am known to spend many a lazy Sunday afternoon reading through my treasure trove of ancient culinary tomes, sipping iced coffee and giggling at the photos.
The Motherlode: My 1st edition copy of the ORIGINAL 1966 Weight Watchers cookbook


With Summer fast approaching, though, I am starting to feel the urge to have ice cream EVERY DAY. Do you ever get that? I know I can't be the only one.

I made up my mind to find some plan-friendly alternatives and decided to start at the source. The ORIGINAL Weight Watchers cookbook by Jean Nidetch. At least, Jean is credited as the author, but admits in her autobiography, "The cookbook had my name and picture on the cover but the recipes were developed by Felice Lippert (Jean's business partner's wife, who had lost weight on the plan). She was the one who was interested in cooking-and she had the time to spend in the kitchen. I certainly didn't."

I just adore this book, the recipes aren't bad and the cartoon illustrations are so cute! I looked through the dessert section and found a recipe that was right up my alley, called "Coffee Whip"! It was underneath a cartoon that reads "Your stomach doesn't know it's your birthday."
I updated it a little and I'm pretty sure my version (which uses Splenda instead of "liquid sugar substitute" and vanilla fatfree half-and-half instead of milk) is tastier than Jean's-I mean, Felice's. But my version is definitely as simple and easy to make as the original!

NACHO MAMA'S CAFE GEL-LATTE!
makes 4 servings
1 envelope of unflavored gelatin (like Knox)
2 cups, minus 2 tablespoons, EXTRA STRONG hot coffee
2 tablespoons Vanilla, Fatfree Half-and-Half
Splenda to taste

1. Brew coffee, add half-and-half and Splenda. It should be stronger and a little sweeter than your average cup o'joe.

2. Slowly whisk gelatin into the hot coffee mixture until dissolved.

3. Ladle into 4 ramekins or cups and chill until set. Serve with a dollop of fatfree whipped topping. Yeah, I mean Cool Whip.

It's not complete without the Cool Whip!

ONLY ONE POINTPLUS PER SERVING!!! That's with the Cool Whip, people!

My only regret? Why, oh why, did I not think to serve this in cute little COFFEE CUPS?! Where was my head?

Anyhoo-it was downright delicious. Even my husband thought so and he was muy skeptical, let me tell you. It was cool and creamy and coffee-y. Perfect for summer. Thanks Felice!

I hope you'll give this one a try this summer, I think it would be good to serve al fresco on a hot summer night, no? Just watch out for that caffeine-it does pack a punch!

Wishing you love with extra cheese-
Nacho Mama

PS-For some MAJOR retro-Weight Watchers action, head over to Mimi's blog: 1972 The Retro WW Experiment. She's the queen!

2 comments:

Mimi said...

First of all-thanks for the shout out, darling!

Second--is that bowl from QVC? Are you a temptationista??? Love it!

Third--I love that book. I almost love it more that my beloved 1972 Retro WW Cookbook. The illustrations are cray cray!!! FYI--try the roasted mushroom "peanut" recipe sometime. Its kinda good!

Luv ya! xoxo

Nacho Mama said...

Wow! I am impressed. YES, I have a large collection of Temptations serving pieces in "Old World Cranberry"! I find them to be the perfect compliment to my Pyrex Butterfly Gold.

I saw that "peanut" recipe the other day. I must admit, I'm intrigued...

Luv ya back! XO!