Monday, May 5, 2014

A Mexcellent Playlist for Your CINCO DE MAYO CELEBRATION!!

Lighting a vela for YOUR Cinco party!

Hola everyone!
As a Mexcellent-American and a native of Southern California, this day is always a little funny for me. Even though Cinco de Mayo is a holiday we NEVER celebrated in my family when I was a kid, I really love that this country takes a day to celebrate Mexican culture, crafts, food and more! HOWEVER...even here in America's Finest City ("I can see Mexico from my house!") Cinco de Mayo celebrations often take a few, um, liberties. 

Yes, I'm talking about the music.
That's my Uncle Jess Porras, center, with saxophone


I get it, not everyone wants to listen to mariachi music for 3 hours. Many people don't know how to dance to it. But you CAN put together a playlist that both reflects Mexican heritage and gives your American friends something to get down to. Because, if you think your Latino amigos aren't going to notice that you're playing Buena Vista Social Club, you're wrong. 
I'm here to hook you up, my friends! Here's a few of my favorite vintage cuts guaranteed to get your Cinco Soiree Swinging (did you catch my bilingual alliteration there?):

? and the Mysterians, "96 Tears"


The Mixtures, "Besame Mucho" (the AMAZING saxophone solo on this track was played by my dear late Uncle Chuy)


The Premiers, "Farmer John"

Trio Los Panchos feat. Eydie Gorme "Historia de Un Amor"

The Blendells, "La, La, La, La , La"

Chris Montez, "Let's Dance"

The Village Callers, "Evil Ways" (I actually prefer this version to Santana's later cover)

Thee Midniters, "Whittier Blvd"

We have a great tradition of Mexican-American music in this country! Try injecting YOUR Cinco Celebration with a little Chicano Soul and see what happens. Arriba!

Wishing you love with extra cheese-
Nacho Mama

No comments: