Saturday, November 19, 2011

Happy Birthday

Today, I was watching my favorite episode of my favorite cooking show, Paula Deen, when I realized that Nacho Mama's Blog is one year old! I can't believe all the wonderful people I've gotten to meet and all of the awesome things I have gotten to do over the last year as a result of this blog. THANK YOU ALL for your lovely tweets, comments and emails-you've made this experience so much more than I ever imagined it would be.

I guess the birthday passed pretty much unnoticed because of another, very special, birthday that is coming tomorrow. November 20th was my late father's birthday, which he shared with his older brother Chuy. Since my dad passed away from prostate cancer almost 7 years ago, his birthday has always been kind of a sad marker for me. Even though I know his spirit is always with me, I can't help but think of all the things that happened over the last year that he would have especially enjoyed-especially things having to do with my kids. I spent last November 20th visiting my Uncle Chuy for their birthday, he was in the hospital being treated for prostate cancer. We had a really nice talk and he shared some sweet memories of himself and my dad when they were kids. It was one of the last times I ever saw him. This November 20th I am thinking of his kids and how much they must be missing him. I know my dad and his brother will be together tomorrow, each with his own cake prepared by their mom.

No comments: