Monday, December 12, 2011

When bad recipes go good: Nacho "Sugar" Mama's Candy! #POSITIVISIMO

'Tis the season for baking and making all kinds of tempting treats! Almost all of my favorite holiday treats are based on one vital ingredient-MILK!  There's my mother's flan (the recipe is top secret and she won't even share it with me, let alone the internet), Tres Leches cake and fudge. Of course, it wouldn't be Christmas in our house without Mexican Hot Chocolate! 

But this year I wanted to try something different.

Last year, I developed a YUMMY Christmas Cookie recipe that calls for Dulce de Leche candy. For those of you who don't know, Dulce de Leche is a milk-based confection popular in Latin America. It's not the easiest thing in the world to make, and the "shortcut" method involves boiling cans of sweetened condensed milk for hours on end. This method is not only time consuming, but very dangerous-sometimes the cans explode!

But I had lots of leftover condensed milk from the fudge I made last week and thought I'd try to find an easier way. So I did an online search and found several "recipes" for making Dulce de Leche in the slow cooker. EASY! Following the directions to the letter, I submerged my cans of sweetened condensed milk in water in my slow cooker, set the temperature to LOW and let it cook for 8 hours.

Then I let the cans come to room temperature (again, to avoid explosion). And when I opened them up I had.....two cans of room temperature condensed milk. It was a COMPLETE FAIL! Not one to accept failure, I poured the milk into a pan on my stove and stirred it until it turned a yummy caramel color.

Then I poured it into a pan that I, thankfully, lined with foil and let it cool. And when it cooled I had something that *looked* and smelled exactly like Dulce de Leche BUT was as hard as a rock! It was nevertheless delicious, and very similar to "Sugar Daddy" lollipops-which I happen to love.

So-I broke it into pieces and packed it up for my friends with labels reading "Nacho 'Sugar' Mama's Candy"!

See? When you're cooking with milk the glass is always half full!!

If you need some help seeing the glass half full this holiday season, be sure and
follow the Master of The Glass Half Full on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ElMaestroDelVasoMedioLleno?ref=ts

Wishing you love with extra cheese-
Nacho Mama


Disclosure: This is part of a sponsored campaign with the California Milk Processor's Board and Latina Mom Bloggers