Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"Shape Up For Summer" Block Party! #Positivisimo

Happy Summer everyone! Hope you've been having a beautiful time in this glorious warm weather and getting in lots of fun activity. My Zumba classes are going very well-so well that I decided to invite some of my students to join me and my family for a very special "block party!"
YUMMY!
 I've been sharing with them how I've been selected as a "Positivity Ambassador" for Milk and wanted to serve them some delicious milk-based recipes. It was a great excuse to get my cooking on!
The recipes were such a hit that I wanted to share them with all of you, too.

First-I greeted everyone with crackers and "Lockerman Dip" an awesome recipe I got from one of my favorite retro-recipe blogs, "Dinner Is Served 1972". It was easy and a real crowd pleaser! Just some cream cheese, pimentos and olives-that's it! Ok, I *did* add a teensy bit of paprika for color!
Lockerman Dip-I had to refill this tray THREE times!
Then, the beverages. The adults enjoyed Skinny Girl pina coladas topped with light whipped cream and for the kids, what else? Chocolate milk!
This little guy is using a "silly straw" for the very first time!
In a very retro-mood already from the dip, I decided to make this AMAZING recipe I read on "Caker Cooking" not too long ago.  Since I couldn't find Skor Bits at my local supermarket, I had to improvise a little and decided I may as well go ahead and lighten the recipe up a little too. Here's the version I made:

Nacho Mama's Caker Bars!
2 and a half sleeves of crushed reduced-fat Ritz crackers
Half a package of dark chocolate chips
Half a package of Toffee bits (like Heath)
1 can fat free sweetened condensed MILK

Mix all ingredients and pour into an 8 x 8 pan lined with parchment. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes, cool and slice into 25 squares. (for you Weight Watchers, these are 4 pointsplus per serving)

These were SO. GOOD. Kind of like a "blondie" but waaaay easier to make! Thanks, "Caker Cooking!"
Caker Bars
Now, I knew that several of us are watching our waistlines and DEFINITELY wanted to have a low-cal, "Weight Watchers-friendly" retro-recipe! It was the perfect opportunity to break out my "Cafe Gel-lattes!" based on a 1966 Weight Watchers recipe. It's like a latte you can eat!
Gravity-defying CAFE GEL-LATTE! (with optional light whipped cream)
Then it was time for the star of the menu-TRES LECHES CAKE. If you've never had Tres Leches before, I pity you, I really do. "Tres Leches" means "Three Milks"  - because this cake is made with THREE different kinds of milk! As you can imagine, this cake is very rich. Once a relative of mine ate *half* of a Tres Leches cake in one evening and had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency gallbladder sugery three hours later. When we visited her the next day she said, "That cake was so good I just couldn't stop eating it!" True story!
Ta-da! TRES LECHES!!! Just a small piece, though!
Ok, I didn't bake the Tres Leches. As many of you know, I may be the worst baker in the United States. I am lucky enough to live in a part of the country where Tres Leches is readily available and very affordable! If you enjoy baking or don't live somewhere where you can get a freshly made Tres Leches any day of the week, then you can try to make one yourself. I recommend this recipe, from my friends at Muy Bueno Cookbook-love them!

After all those yummy foods the kids and I decided to try and burn off some of those calories by dancing EL PASO POSITIVO, of course!

A great time was had by all-maybe too great?
"If you like pina coladas...and a nap on the floor..."

See? You can enjoy delicious eats and stay active this summer! I hope you'll give some of the recipes a try. Really, every single one was a BIG hit! And they were all SUPER easy to make-except the Tres Leches (but it was easy to buy).

As "El Maestro Positivo" says, "Summer has been waiting a whole year to see you in a bikini and watch you enjoy the ocean again!"

Stay tuned here throughout the summer for more tips on how milk can help us all Shape Up! And be sure and follow El Maestro Positivo online and on Facebook-you'll love his hilarious daily doses of "Positivity"!

Wishing you love with extra cheese-
Nacho Mama


This is part of a sponsored campaign with the California Milk Processor Board and Latina Mom Bloggers. However, all opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: