Sunday, October 14, 2012

"CH-CH-CH-CHIA HEAD" My New Food Find!

Happy Sunday everyone!
File:Salviahispanica-florentinecodex2.jpg
The Aztecs enjoyed the many nutritional benefits of CHIA (image via Wikipedia)
I wanted to share a recent food find that's been helping me stick to my daily PointsPlus target-CHIA SEEDS! Apparently, "my people" have been enjoying them for centuries, but I must admit that when I hear "chia" I immediately think of...


It seems chia sprouts and chia seeds are SUPER good for you! They are packed with fiber, protein and Omega 3s (learn more about Chia on Wikipedia). If, like me, you've ever owned a Chia Pet, you know that when you soak the seeds in liquid, they plump up and become almost jelly-like. Tossing in a pinch of chia seeds can help bulk up omelets, salsa, stir fries-even desserts. Because the seeds have no flavor, you can add them to just about ANY food to give it a real nutritional. filling boost! I've really had fun experimenting with "hiding" chia seeds in different recipes.

Are you a CHIA HEAD? I am!

I found chia seeds at my local Sprouts, but I've also seen them at Whole Foods and in the "herbs and spices" section of my local Hispanic Supermarket. They might seem expensive (usually around $10 for a large bag), but a little goes a loooong way! If you've never tried them, I recommend them. I'm thinking of sprouting some of the seeds to throw into salads, too!

Now, everybody sing along with me, "Ch-ch-ch-CHIA!"

Wishing you love with extra cheese,
Nacho Mama




No comments: