Thursday, November 17, 2011

How healthy is YOUR mouth? #HDASurvey

OK, I admit it. I don't take as good care of my mouth and teeth as I encourage my kids to. And according to a new survey put out by the Hispanic Dental Association along with Crest and Oral-B? I'm not alone.



It seems that 67% of U.S. Hispanics (like me) consider their overall health to be either "good" or "excellent"-sounds great, right? Here's the problem-TWO THIRDS of us have had at least one oral health issue in the past year. 

I am SO a part of this statistic. Last year, I had to have a tooth pulled and an implant put in. It was extremely painful, I lost an ENTIRE WEEK of work and I am STILL paying it off! I wish I could say I'm an isolated case in my family, but unfortunately, I'm not. Yes, my grandparents had dentures-but my parents' generation (who had ready access to dental care) were somewhat lax in addressing their oral health issues.  And I'm just as guilty of letting things go for far too long before seeing my dentist (even though I have a FABULOUS dentist)! 

I don't know about you, but this is one case where I definitely DO NOT want to be in the majority! I was plain shocked at how Hispanics fared against the general population in this regard. After taking this brief survey, I was able to see the very simple steps I need to take in order to keep a healthy and happy mouth. I'm a little embarrassed to admit there were a couple of questions I got wrong, but knowledge is power and now I can help my kids to not only practice good oral hygiene, but I can also help them understand WHY it is so important to have a healthy mouth!
Oh sure, it LOOKS like a healthy smile-but is it?
Now that I'm armed with the facts, I have no excuses for letting my smile go un-managed! What about YOU? Are you doing all you can to keep your chompers chomping into your golden years? If you'd like to learn more about this groundbreaking survey, please visit www.crestcomplete.com/study


AND KEEP SMILING!


Wishing you love with extra cheese-
Nacho Mama

Disclosure: I wrote this post while participating in a compensated campaign with Procter & Gamble and Latina Mom Bloggers. However, all opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: