Friday, July 6, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRIDA KAHLO! #VIDEO

Today is the birthday of the great Mexican Painter Frida Kahlo. I've known her art ever since I was a young kid, at the San Diego Museum of Art, and later in the GREAT exhibition "Mexico: Splendors of Thiry Centuries" which my parents took me to see in 1990 in Los Angeles. I don't know anyone of Mexican descent who has not been touched by the haunting imagery of this iconic artist. In addition to many, many books featuring her work, I own a magnificent color reproduction of her journals, which are rich with color and drama, and a beautiful calavera portait of Frida (painted by my very talented friend, Cynthia Martinez) hangs above the family table in my kitchen.
Happy Birthday, Frida!
Something that's on my "bucket list" is a visit to Frida's "Blue House" in Mexico. I would love to be able to visit this unique museum with my children someday!


If you don't know much about Frida Kahlo-check her out on Wikipedia, for a start. She and her husband, Diego Rivera, played a very interesting role during the New Deal in the United States!

I love this beautiful video montage of her photos, her home and her art, put together by the Museo Frida Kahlo. Check it out and maybe you'll add a visit to La Casa Azul to your bucket list, too!


I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me, too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it’s true I’m here, and I’m just as strange as you.
-Frida Kahlo


Happy Birthday, Frida! Hope you are enjoying all the celebrations going on in your honor, all over the world!

For more Frida quotes, check out this piece at Mamiverse, compiled by Kathy Cano-Murillo (aka Crafty Chica).

Wishing you love AND ART with extra cheese-
Nacho Mama

1 comment:

pearmama said...

That's on my bucket list, too!!