Thursday, October 27, 2011

Nacho Mama's Original Recipe: QUESADILLA-DE-LOS-MUERTOS! #DayoftheDead

Here's a secret-my husband has the BEST ideas! He was the one who came up for the name of this blog and he also came up with the idea for this recipe. Read on and you'll see why I love this gringo so much!


We eat a LOT of quesadillas in our house. It's probably the only food that ALL 4 of us enjoy, even my picky kids. My 2-year-old refers to them as "Dia-Dias" - which prompted my husband to say, "You should make a Quesadilla De Los Muertos!" 


Now, you KNOW I can't ignore a challenge like that! It took me a minute to figure out the best way to do it and, since I was making myself a quesadilla for dinner tonight anyway, I decided to give it a try. It was so easy!


First of all, I'd like you to know that I like to make quesadillas that are complete meals. Tonight's quesadilla was filled with cheddar-jack cheese, ground turkey, spinach and arugula. YUM! 


After cooking the quesadilla on the comal (you could use a skillet), I took out my pizza cutter and sliced 2 curved slivers out of each side, making a perfect calavera!


Then, in a sealed sandwich baggie, I mixed 2 tablespoons of light sour cream with LOADS of chili powder, to give it color and flavor. You could also mix the sour cream with adobo or mole sauce, but I was out of both! After snipping a tiny corner off the bag, I piped the face and decorations onto the quesadilla. Yes, I could have written my name but I was in a hurry because I was so HUNGRY after a long day of coupon shopping!


The result? NACHO MAMA'S QUESADILLA-DE-LOS-MUERTOS!
It was SO TASTY!


I hope you'll consider cooking up a Quesadilla-de-los-Muertos yourself over these next few days. Do YOU  have anything special that you make for the Day of the Dead? Please share! I'd love more traditions to share with my family.


Wishing you love with extra cheese on YOUR quesadilla!
Nacho Mama

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love quesadillas tey are so quick easy and filling for a quick meal I put ham inside of them to make it more fillng lol. I loooove this omg my hubby would love the skull hes into that.